The heat is subsiding, so I decided to finally teach Courtney how to ride her two-wheeler...so we can go on family bike rides. She was pretty nervous at first...but I spoke gentle words of comfort.
"Dad, what happens if you let go and I crash?"
"Courtney, don't worry, the worst thing that could happen is that you fall and break your arm, or maybe hit your head on the cement and spit it open...you ready to try it?"
Way to go Courtney! And don't worry about what your Dad said.. he told me the same thing when I was learning to ride my bike.. and to this day it hasn't happened. (I think it's just a scare tactic) :)
We've put this together to keep family and friend, both near and far, up to speed on the comings & goings of the Jason & Kimberly Bates family...
Bates Family
Carter - my little man
"Take a number ladies..."
Courtney - the 7 year old teenager
Cassidy - all grown up
Quote of the week...
Another priceless "real-life conversation" from my life:
Courtney - "When I grow up, I want to marry a famous person." Dad / Mom - "Why is that?" Courtney - "So that I will have lots and lots of money to spend...and so I can see him on TV every day." Dad & Mom spend the next several minutes reminding Courtney that there are more important things in life than money, popularity, and fame. Courtney (no more than 10 seconds later) - "Is David Archuleta married?"
"Mom, guess what......I can see Heaven!" - Carter (see pic dated 6-30-10 for what he was looking at when he said this).
Real-life conversation between Dad and Carter on our "boys night out" the other day:
Dad - "Carter, I'm impressed, you are a really smart boy!" Carter - "I'm not as smart as Allie (a girl in his preschool class) - she is so super smart! She is even smarter than Jesus!" Dad (laughing) - "Really?! Well, that's pretty smart. But you're a really smart kid too, so does that make you the second smartest kid in the class?" Carter - "I guess...but you know what Dad?" Dad - "What?" Carter (deep in thought) - "The problem is that second place always loses." Dad (laughing) - "Well I guess we need to study then."
Real-life conversation #2 between Dad and Carter on our "boys night out" last month:
Dad - "Carter, who's your best friend in your pre-school class?" Carter - "Which one...boy, or girl?" Dad (intrigued) - "Girl." Carter (looking out the car window, deep in though) - "Ella." Dad (still intrigued) - "Why Ella?" Carter (with a cheshire cat grin...but not missing a beat) - "Because she's a smokin' hot mama!" Dad (so proud, but not wanting to show it) - "Makes sense."
"Colby (our dog) loves to "hug" things! It's so cute! He especially loves to hug our stuffed animals. He climbs on their back, and then goes up and down and up and down...he's a great hugger!" - Courtney innocently explaining our dog's horny disposition to the missionaries - during dinner. Before her mom could stop her, she got down on all 4's and gave them a visual interpretation about how Cobly "hugs" as well.
"You never know when you might need a good petroleum product." - Captain Steve on our snorkling tour in Hawaii (referring to using Vaseline to create a better seal on your snorkling mask - although the comment clearly had a dual meaning)
"Look at those horny animals!" - Sister-in-law Melanie (referring to "horned" animals she saw in Hawaii)
"Mom/Dad, can I sleep with you? I'm scared 'cause the Holy Ghost is under my bed." - Carter
"Dad, this is the best restaurant we've ever been to, because they let you drop your nuts on the floor!" - Courtney (while eating at Texas Roadhouse)
"I hope you don't mind if I make out with all of you!" - Kimberly at our New Year's Eve party (she was trying to say "I hope you all don't mind if I make out with my husband in front of you", but she got some interesting looks from our guests who were beginning to wonder what kind of "party" we were throwing)
1 comment:
Way to go Courtney! And don't worry about what your Dad said.. he told me the same thing when I was learning to ride my bike.. and to this day it hasn't happened. (I think it's just a scare tactic) :)
Post a Comment