Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Dogs - the good, the bad & the ugly

So, anyone who knows me, knows that I HATE dogs - with a passion. I don't hate many things in this world, but dogs are one of the exceptions. I would honestly be OK if some virus killed every dog on the planet. In fact, I would probably celebrate the birthday of the scientist who created the virus.

Now some of you are reading this and thinking that I'm a heartless jerk. However, I want you to know that my feelings are not unfounded. I have been attacked by 1/2 dozen different dogs in my life, and literally have scars on various parts of my body to prove it. I think I've had to get those stinkin' rabies shots at least 4 or 5 times. I will admit that my time living in Argentina (where the dogs run "wild" and breed in the streets - having to attack people for food) probably had a lot to do with my hatred of the K9 breed.

Anyhow, there must be something in my blood, because my children have had the same "wonderful" experience with dogs. Every one of my children has been attacked & bitten (drawing blood) by at least 2-3 dogs in their short lifetimes. Below is photographic evidence of the latest attack (Carter had to get 4 stitches on his face). Only 4 days prior to Carter's "incident", Cassidy had her lip torn open by a dog as well.




But for some reason, one which is totally beyond my level of comprehension, my kids still LOVE the stupid animals. (Between you and me, I believe my wife is brainwashing them - she comes from a "dog" family.)

Well, to make a long story longer, for as long as I can remember, my children (and wife) have asked for a dog. I have always had several excuses for my firm "NO" response (we have a little baby crawling on the floor, I'm allergic to dander, they shed, they have fleees, THEY BITE).

Then my wife started doing research. She found a breed that has minimal dander, doesn't shed (it has hair, not fur), is really good with kids, and is hypoallergenic. Plus, we won't have any babies crawling around anymore. All of a sudden, I was running out of excuses.

So I finally caved in, and bought Kimberly and the kids a Yorkie-Poo puppy for Christmas. I personally can't think of a more MANLY dog than a "Yorkie-Poo". It just sounds manly.

So I introduce to you, the latest male addition to the Bates family - Colby. He's 9 weeks old, weighs in at 5.3 lbs (with a maximum expected weight of 8-9 lbs). Small enough that he can be used as a football if things don't work out.




Just between us girls, the best part is that he is still learning the art of "potty training". I secretly smile every time he takes a dump or pees in the house - because without me having to say it, it's like saying "I told you so!"
And although behind closed doors, I often refer to him as the bastard step-child I never wanted, I have to admit that I am slowly warming up to the little terd.


We'll see how long it takes for my wife / kids to get sick of bathing, feeding, walking and cleaning up after him. If any of you are interested, he may be for sale shortly down the road. :-)

4 comments:

Carmen Goetschius said...

YOU ARE AWFUL! And hilarious. I bet in 1.8 years, it will be you happily snuggled on the couch with the dog that you are so very glad to have purchased!! :-) Happy New Year to you and yours Bates!

Anonymous said...

AMEN Jason! 5 years later however...I gently remind Ted that Cricket is HIS dog and he must pick up the poop!!!

QnA Drapers said...

Sadly my excuses are slowly running out too- The Drapers will have a dog one day (when we don't have a baby crawling around and when Quinn is home to help take care of it) Maybe a Manly Yoorkie Poo.

Becky said...

That is the cutest little football that I've ever seen!!! Hopefully it won't turn into one though.

I love your blog! Wish we lived closer so we could hang out again. Let us know about the puppy situation, I maybe intersted in taking him off your hands someday. I come from a dog family... but I prefer the small dogs as well... I can "take 'em" if I need too. :0